A self introduction formal letter to my Professor


 

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I hope this email finds you well.

I wanted to thank you for using this assignment as an opportunity for me to formally introduce myself to you. My name is Emmanuel Jonathan Yap, and I am first year student from mechanical engineering in Singapore Institute of Technology. My education path is described as a long but fruitful journey as I studied in the Institute of Technical education (ITE) to attain a Higher Nitec certificate in mechatronics engineering. My results were optimal enough for me to enter Nanyang Polytechnic where I attained a Diploma in Mechatronics and Robotics engineering.

As I write this letter to you an epiphany hits me as I realized that I have finally made it to university. In this arduous academic journey, one valuable lesson I have learnt is the process of endurance is as important as reaching the destination. What has kept me going is my relentless passion for engineering and its applications for a better future.

I was formally an army engineer in the Singapore Armed Forces for 5 years. During my tenure I was an expert in the maintenance of the suite of combat wheeled vehicles that the army had ranging from Infantry Carrier Vehicles and Protected Armored Vehicles ensuring their sustainability in peace, reliability in operations.

Making the bold decision to leave the army to pursue further studies has taught me that the regimental and conscripted culture that defines the military would not be as applicable in university. Critical thinking and change are what a university would encourages but it also may be seen as insubordination to superiors in the context of the army.

My friends and superiors describe me as an outgoing, well-spoken and approachable person. I often get invited to be an Emcee for various voluntary events and selected as a groom of honor to give a wedding speech to newly wedded couples. One weakness that I hope to address is to expand my vocabulary list to articulate right words to bring a message across more effectively. In your module I hope learn how I could keep my letters and speeches to be concise and precise. During presentations I hope to enhance my presentation skills in public speaking in reducing the use of pause fillers and to speak the right words for effective communication. 

Aside from work and academia,

I have a few notable hobbies,

In fitness I do a lot of running and high intensity exercises to keep myself fit and my mind sharpen. My fitness has allowed me to score a gold standard in military fitness assessment 6 years in a row. I am also competent in building Unmanned Arieal Vehicles (UAV) and flying them.  I am proud of this hobby as I have managed to earn some profits by being a drone flight instructor in teaching WSQ courses in UAV systems. While I may not have a strong foundation in engineering math yet, I am someone who has the hands-on skills to integrate various engineering technology to be put into application. I am just missing the technical writing skills that completes me as a full fletch engineer.  I know I will do well under your mentorship, Professor.

 

 

Best regards

Emmanuel Jonathan Yap.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emmanuel! Overall, your letter provides a strong introduction to your background, work experience, and aspirations. The letter starts by thanking the professor for the opportunity to introduce yourself, which sets a positive and respectful tone. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your letter has been an enjoyable read as it showcase your unique journey and different experiences leading yourself to SIT. Your acknowledgment of areas which you can improve on such as vocabulary expansion and presentation shows self-awareness and a motivation to personal growth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts